Friday, January 31, 2020

Slow and Steady

This week has been a lesson in timing. From a few different aspects. First, learning how to juggle the Work/School/Family balance with my job suddenly requesting me to come in and work on a project, and then pulling the hours away due to client waffling, and then my wife only working two of the five workdays this week due to feeling really under the weather.
But then also, and more relevant to this class, is the idea of what we’re doing in the class over all. When the class begun, the first tidbit of information provided was:

YOU ARE GOING TO START A BUSINESS AND THERE WILL BE NO SAFETY NET! MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION!!!!!
<INSERT DOOM GIF> <INSERT SABRE RATTLING  SOUND EFFECT>

Upon reading that, my expectation was that from day one I’d be opening up a website with some type of product and be forced to play catch up and learn from a position of being behind until I figure out how the things I just put into place all work.
Expectations are not always accurate. We’re now three and a half, maybe four weeks into the semester and while I have a better sense of when the trigger will need to be pulled on the point of no return when it comes to establishing a business . . . it hasn’t occurred yet. My initial expectation was that it would’ve occurred that first week.
Instead, the class has me in a “hurry up and wait” mode as it slowly parcels out information on each step of the process. Steps, that outside of the class environment would take literally seconds of contemplation.
All of this is a good thing, we are being counseled to think before acting. Something I should be reminded to do often.

No comments:

Post a Comment